Have both your engagement and wedding rings picked out and unable to put it on just the way you want it to? Is it stuck? Is it too big? Is it too small?
Here, I put together these top tips and tutorials for both types of rings to help you get your rings on just right! Included in this tutorial is also how to care for your rings and also any additional things you can do to keep it safe and secured.
This list is the product of love, care and joy from me to you because I like seeing other people at ease and happy, especially on a momentous day like your wedding day.
One should never leave the home without such a symbol of love and commitment but must also take all pains to ensure that it is cared for properly. Remember what the rings originally stand for? Yeah, that’s why.
So, what is the proper way to wear the engagement ring and wedding ring?
The Engagement Ring
According to Vogue, wearing your engagement ring involves care for it first and foremost. They recommend that clean the ring regularly by dropping it into a mug with soap and water to maintain its shine. After dropping it in, take it out and scrub it with a fine-toothed toothbrush, rinse and pat dry.
“If you’re not cleaning it, then you’re not doing the stone justice because it’s not living up to its potential,” says Tom Burstein, Christie’s international jewellery director.
Despite diamonds being the hardest naturally occurring substance on Earth, they can still chip.
Fun fact: Diamonds can disappear into carbon (their base compound) too if you apply too much heat to them. Of course, you probably won’t encounter such high temperatures naturally (unless you toss the ring in a volcano) so you’re pretty safe.
The takeaway here is: care for you diamond rings, even if you think that they can withstand just about anything. They’re very tough but they’re not invincible.
You also need to know when to take it off and put it on. Rings can go missing easily, considering how small they are. Do not ever, under any circumstance, wash your hands without the ring.
You may think this silly but keeping the ring on also means you leave the bathroom with it and not on the counter. If it were a public place, it would probably be gone by the time you go back to look for it.
Don’t play rough sports especially when you have micro pavé stones set in the ring. Sleeping with the ring or not is ultimately your choice.
Also, you may think this sounds pretty absurd but please, please get your ring insured. You never know what may happen. Resizing options are available as well but you need to be cautious of seasonal changes in temperature, weight fluctuations, and traveling, which may affect how the ring fits you.
Before you upgrade your ring, think first! Remember that it’s only worth it if there’s a noticeable visual difference; otherwise, don’t bother at all.
The Wedding Ring
According to WikiHow, you can follow the following steps:
- Place your wedding band on your left hand ring finger and wear it alone.
- Try wearing your wedding band and engagement ring together in the order you received them. This means that the diamond ring goes on the bottom and the wedding band on top of it. This is the traditional way of wearing rings, but it may not work for every ring style.
- Wear them together with the engagement ring on top instead. Maybe your rings look nicer or fit better this way. Some people prefer to wear their rings this way because they feel that wearing the wedding band on the bottom keeps it closer to the heart.
Or you could wear both rings on different hands:
- This arrangement may be more comfortable for people with shorter fingers or who don't like having more than one ring on each finger.
- This can be a nice way to display your rings if you don't have a matching set or if your rings don't fit well next to each other.
- Perhaps both of your rings are simply so stunning that they need to be displayed alone and without distraction.
Alternate between your wedding band and engagement ring. Though both rings are intended to be worn, and most women do, some choose not to wear both of them at the same time.
Here are some things to consider:
- One ring may be very expensive and you might like to reserve it for special occasions.
- Some people are more comfortable wearing just one ring at a time, but still want a chance to wear them both. Alternating rings can a nice compromise.
Or if you really want to be different:
Wear your wedding ring on whichever finger you want!
Here are some things to consider when doing so:
- Engagement rings are mostly worn on the ring finger of the left hand. Most people who wear their engagement rings stick to tradition.
- Promise rings are often worn on the ring finger of the right hand.
- Though there may be an “official” way of wearing your rings, this is the 21st century and you can make your own way of doing things. Your ring is beautiful and will look amazing on whichever finger you prefer to wear it.
Did you enjoy the tutorial? I sure hope so!
This list is the product of love, care and joy from me to you because I like seeing other people at ease and happy, especially on a momentous day like your wedding day so I hope you find the article as important as I do.
I believe that having the right guide and tutorials will make life easier for you and your spouse after the stress of planning for the wedding. Wearing your rings should be fun, not stressful!
If you do have any questions, do comment below and if you like this article, share it!